The Canadian Federation of Independent Grocers (CFIG) announced its "Top 10 Innovative Products" for 2012 during the Grocery Innovations Canada trade show and conference held at the Toronto Congress Centre last month. The winners were selected based on three criteria: most unique, most buzz-worthy and best consumer response.
So, without further ado, and in no particular order, here they are. Look for these new products coming soon to a store near you. (I must admit I'm especially excited about the dark chocolate milk.)
1. Natrel Dark Chocolate Milk (from Agropur Cooperative)
2. Toschi Gelato (Alfa Cappuccino Imports Inc.)
3. Bisquick Shake'n Pour (General Mills Canada)
4. IslandWay Sorbet (Islandway Sorbet Canada Inc.)
5. Nestle Personal-Sized Ice Cream (Nestle)
6. Country Comfort Grilled Cheese Sandwich (The Dunbar Food Group)
7. AquaHydrate Purified Water (Les Aliments Unique Foods)
8. Ntale EcoDurable Bags (N'Take EcoDurable Products)
9. Gatorade Recover (Pepsico Canada)
10. Visionlink Security Monitoring Systems (Visionlink Security Inc.)
On a similar but different note, the Gourmet Product Awards recently announced the winners of its first annual awards program, whereby dozens of judges revealed their top picks for the best new gourmet products for 2011. Winners were chosen from multiple categories ranging from Baby Products and Baked Goods to Cheeses and Dressings.
The complete list of the 2011 Gourmet Product Award winners can be found on their website, but here is a handful that piqued my interest:
Dairy: Magnolia Premium Tropical Ice Cream
Dressing and Marinades: Coconut Citrus Vinaigrette
Fruits & Vegetables: Tillen Farms 'Bada Bing' Cherries
Garlic, Mushrooms & Olives: Himalaya Truffle
Kitchen Utensils, Gadgets, Chef Items: Ozonator
Popular Foods: Justin's Organic Peanut Butter Cups
Unique Delicious Foods: Grace and I's Turshi
For more of what's caught my eye this year, browse this photo gallery.
1-6. Canadian Federation of Independent Grocers