I recently decided to take on a couple of matching dressers straight out of the 1980s. They're solid wood, unlike a lot of the MDF out there these days, so I decided to work with them instead of leaving them on the curb. My boyfriend liked this idea, too, since he's had them since, well, the '80s.
Yup, that's blue and green paint, coated on thick and glossy.
I started with the hardware. For a traditional look that would complement my white iron bed, I wanted brass knobs, and I wanted them on a dime. Luckily, The Home Depot had tons of affordable knobs. These beauties were only 99 cents each! I needed to outfit two dressers, so I saved tons of money going with the cheapies. Pulls are usually quite a bit more, so I decided two knobs per drawer was going to be even cheaper than one pull per drawer.
Since there were single pulls on the old drawers, I had to fill holes (many, many, many holes) and drill new holes for the knobs. Pick up a wood filler for a project like this.
Because the blue and green paint was so glossy, I sanded them down with an electric sander. I could have done it by hand, but they needed a very thorough sanding. Roughing up the paint a bit also helps the new paint adhere to the wood. Here they are minus a few layers of the '80s.
And after! I went with a white-white paint to match the bed, and come on, is there anything better than crisp white? I think not. And the brass knobs really pop against the white.
Yes, this is the same room. The carpet was traded for bamboo, and the dressers really look at home now. I love the blue walls, too — very English country with the white furniture.
And because I just couldn't get enough DIY-ing, I decided to be really ambitious and wallpaper the insides of the drawers. Argh, I regret starting this, because it took about a month for me to actually finish this project. But it was worth it. The subtle beige paisley pattern looks great with the white and brass. Surprisingly, I just submerged the pre-glued wallpaper in water, just like you would for wallpapering a wall, and it adhered to the wood pretty well. I had to glue down a few corners with carpenter's glue, but I was impressed with how easy it was to wallpaper wood. Cutting each piece to size was the most tedious part.
There are a few gaps, of course, but I'm really happy with how they turned out. My socks are going to be so happy in these drawers!
For another inspiring DIY project, check out Stacey Smithers' dresser finds.