Tools you'll need for this project:
- Painting supplies (brush, mini roller, drip tray)
Cameron's shopping list:
- Masonite Pre-Hung 2-Panel Door; prices vary, The Home Depot.
- Schlage Satin Nickel Locking Bed & Bath Door Knob; $40, The Home Depot.
- Behr Deep Space 750f-7 in semi-gloss (used on door fronts), The Home Depot.
- Behr Glazed Raspberry 120D in semi-gloss (used on door edge), The Home Depot.
1. Select a door
The door shown in this video is available pre-hung, meaning it comes hinged into a door frame and pre-drilled for a door handle.
Before you select a pre-hung door, ensure you have accurate measurements for your rough opening (stud-to-stud measurement). We recommend having a professional tradesperson help with installing a pre-hung door.
If you will be painting the inside edges of your door, as shown in the video, we recommend unhinging the door before painting.
Like the door featured in the video, many doors are sold pre-primed. If you are painting an existing door, you may wish to prime depending on the condition of the surface and paint colours chosen. Consult an associate at The Home Depot’s paint counter for specific advice.
Place the door horizontally on one side on a flat surface (such as a small table), so the outside edges are elevated from the ground. Paint the outside edges with two coats, and allow to dry. Then, proceed to paint the front with two coats, allowing to dry completely before flipping to paint the other side.
3. Hinge and add hardware
Screw in the hinges in the pre-existing holes. Add hardware according to package instructions.