Connect with H&H

Furniture stores 101?

Cisak's picture
Cisak

I'm trying to broaden my shopping horizons past Ikea. I've found a few stores that fit my budget - can you help me add to this list? I don't mind paying a bit more than I would at Ikea, but I'm not willing to take out a second mortgage in order to furnish my house.EQ3, Urban Barn, Pottery Barn, West Elm, Structube, La-z-boy.Thanks!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
shabby chic's picture
shabby chic

what type of style are you going for?

Cisak's picture
Cisak

Oh yes, Crate and Barrel! I've shopped there before. Thanks for the other two suggestions, I'll check them out.I'm in Toronto, so it's pretty much open buffet - although I prefer not to drive more than 20-30 min to shop for anything. I don't actually drive, so I also prefer to shop at stores that have detailed info about their products on their websites (which tend to be the big box stores). That way I pretty much only have to physically go to a store once or twice in order to make a purchasing decision. I'm pretty lucky in that I'm within walking distance of the antique dealers on Queen West, but it's hit or miss to find specifically what you want at a given moment.Dytecture, the style that fits me is Value Village! But, strangely, I just can't seem to find everything I need to furnish my house there! Seriously though, I can afford quite a lot more than that, but I can't realistically shop at certain stores. Fact of life.Any more suggestions, anyone else?

spersaud's picture
spersaud

Along the same price lines as those stores: HomeSense, Pier 1 Imports and Crate & Barrel. Great topic! Anyone have other suggestions?

LoftyAmbitions's picture
LoftyAmbitions

Hi Cisak, I think it would help to know where you're located, or you'll be limited to national brands. I'm sure there are a lot of locally owned shops that people would love to recomend. Do you have a type of style you gravitate towards, or are you open to anything?(We happen to be a locally owner shop in Hamilton,ON specializing in modern furniture, lighting, & decor. http://loftyambitions.ca )  

dytecture's picture
dytecture

It's certainly a good idea to shop around for the style that fits you.  Price shouldn't be the dominating factor when furnishing your home.

Comment Guidelines

We welcome your feedback on Houseandhome.com. H&H reserves the right to remove any unsuitable personal remarks made about the bloggers, hosts, homeowners and/or guests we feature. Please keep your comments focused on decorating, design, cooking and other lifestyle topics. Adopt a tone you would be willing to use in person and do not make slanderous remarks or use denigrating language. If you see a comment that you believe violates any of the guidelines outlined above, please click “Flag as inappropriate.” Thank you.

OK