Man do I ever feel accomplished! This job was long overdue as I was dreading it so much. The last time I did this was when I was 15 and mom thought I was the best one in the house for the job. I only had a squeeze tube of caulking then, and it was not pretty! (although it did seal things to her satisfaction!) Since DH spreads fluffy stuff like spackle like a cake decorator without purpose, I was left with no choice but to take it on.
This time I sprung for the caulk tube that works with a gun. I cut the hole too big so I abandoned completing the work started yesterday until today, when I got a smoothing tool to help out.
I think it turned out pretty good. You might be expecting a post of my caulking re&re about now, but instead (as a special treat) here is one of dh's latest 'fixes', which should illustrate why *I* had to do the caulking. My son tugged on a recently installed drapery rod, and the centred support bracket came loose. No problem as far as I was concerned, as the ends were fine and dh learned WHY I told him not to fart around with the new drape panels. (room needs to be painted and I thought I'd just deal with it then) Anyway, dh, with too much time on his hands, a good heart, and no experience, took it upon himself to 'help' me. He smooshed spackle over the original spot the support bracket was installed at........and he MOVED the thing a lot to the left. (so the drape panels look funny when drawn together now) The picture is kind of small but for those of you with superior eyesight I can confirm: Yes, that is spackle smeared all over the rod. (and to those of you that remember my post about spackle woes in my bar: No, I haven't sanded that down yet!)