A casual arrangement is perfect for family time. With the sofa now facing the TV (and in a more discreet spot than over the fireplace), the room feels instantly more casual and appropriate for a family's multitasking needs: a couple of people can curl up on the sofa and watch a movie, while someone else works at the desk or reads in the Louis chair. An Eames moulded plastic chair — a mid-century modern classic — gives the room some edge and provides extra seating.
Why It Works:
1. The table, used as a sofa console in the formal room, now functions as a desk.
2. Casual patterned linen curtains blend in with the walls, adding to the room's airy feeling.
3. Large baskets provide easy storage of children's toys, books and DVDs in the open shelving.
4. A family-friendly flatweave cotton rug was chosen for its playful stripes, and because it's less pricey than a more formal wool or silk rug.
5. The silk throw pillow covers were swapped out for less serious cotton block-print ones.
See more ways to arrange living room furniture in our One Room, Three Ways gallery.