Maia's shopping list:
- Martha Stewart Living wreath, ornaments and red tartan ribbon (Winterberry Collection)
- Shatter-resistant ornaments
- Home Accents Holiday 20ft pre-lit fir garland
- Home Accents Holiday pre-lit 4ft potted tree
- 3M Command clear hooks
- Martha Stewart Living LED decorative tree picks
- Cable ties
1. Fit To Be Tied
Use cable (or “zip”) ties rather than string to secure garland to railing. It’s fast, strong, won’t mark up your railings, and is easy to clip off at the end of the season.
2. Opt For Convenience
Opt for pre-lit faux garland, which makes your job go twice as fast.
3. Twice Is Nice
Doubling up on garland along railings or surrounding doors ensures a lush look.
4. Use Red Judiciously
In the front porch featured, a red berry wreath hung with a red tartan ribbon makes a dramatic statement and ensures the door is a focal point. Other hits of red — such as ornaments and pillows — are done with a spare hand.
5. Light The Way
Create an inviting path for evening guests by placing festive lanterns on each porch step.