How to plan for a smooth move.
Follow these tips to help make for a trouble-free relocation:
- Edit your belongings: Hold a garage sale or call a charity to pick up items in good condition that you no longer want. If you are relocating out-of-province, compare the cost of moving your possessions to the cost of replacing them after the move.
- Obtain estimates from several reputable moving companies; book a packing date (if necessary) and a moving date.
- Arrange to have utilities disconnected at your old residence (after your move-out date) and connected at the new location.
- Cancel or transfer memberships to fitness clubs or other organizations to which you and your family belong.
- Arrange for pet transportation if necessary.
- Notify friends and relatives of your move. Submit a change-of-address form to the post office. Notify newspapers and magazines you subscribe to.
- Begin using up or giving away food stored in your kitchen pantry, cupboards and freezer.
- Gather all essential and current personal, medical, insurance, school and real estate documents in one accessible folder that will not be packed away.
- Transfer bank accounts to a local branch in your new neighbourhood; transfer medical prescriptions to a pharmacy near your new home or office.
- Safely dispose of household hazardous waste such as old paints and solvents, oil, gas and other toxic materials.
- If you’ll be packing yourself, now’s the time to begin. Packing room by room will keep your possessions organized making for a speedier unpacking process.
- Make a point of keeping remote controls with pertinent electronics.
- Make arrangements to have children and pets stay with friends or family on load-out day.
- Collect all extra spare keys from neighbours, friends or relatives. Also, be sure to leave any garage door openers for the new owners.
- Send out rugs and drapes to be professionally cleaned.
- Pick up items out for repair or cleaning.
- Clean all appliances, including the oven. Defrost the freezer.
- Before the moving van leaves for your destination, give the driver a phone number where you can be reached at all times.
- Check all closets, cupboards and storage areas for items you may have missed.
- Pack a box with essential items you’ll take with you in the car to use upon arrival at your new home: some cutlery, a few dishes, glasses, snacks, drinks, toilet paper and a few cleaning supplies.