Change the layout or enlarge windows.
Invest in the following options:
- Opt for custom cabinetry
- Invest in natural stone or composite countertops
- Switch base-model for professional-grade appliances
- Install statement lighting
- Start fresh: think about where the kitchen would work best in the home, even relocate to a different room
- Change the architecture (enlarge or install windows, for instance)
See kitchen photos, in-depth renovation tips, planning tools and videos in our Kitchen Guide.
Research by Anna-Kaisa Walker. With files from Brian Gluckstein, Gluckstein Design; Tamara Robbins Griffith, Ikea Canada; Connie Braemer, Connie Braemer Design; Julie Charbonneau, De Poitiers; Shelley Penner, Penner & Associates Interior Design; Roman Cholasta, Interior Elements.