Switch up lighting or buy a new base-model stove.
For a quick, inexpensive kitchen update, consider these options:
- Buy off-the-shelf cabinets with interior fittings
- Paint old cabinets
- Replace uppers with open shelving
- Install new composite or butcherblock countertops
- Install a simple backsplash
- Replace light fixtures (opt for timeless pendants like this one)
- Buy a new base-model freestanding fridge and/or stove
Research by Anna-Kaisa Walker. With files from Brian Gluckstein, Gluckstein Design; Tamara Robbins Griffith, Ikea Canada; Connie Braemer, Connie Braemer Design; Julie Charbonneau, De Poitiers; Shelley Penner, Penner & Associates Interior Design; Roman Cholasta, Interior Elements.