I have a tree dilemma and I'm not sure what I should do. I really want a clumping birch tree in our front yard. The owner of the nursery that I go to recommended a Whitespire Birch. So, I went to the nursery on Saturday in search of a clumping Whitespire. Turns out that the three they had gotten in recently have already been sold :( So, I decided to by a single-trunk Whitespire instead. It's a lovely tree -- probably between 15-20 feet high, which gives it a jump on catching up to the huge trees in our neighbourhood!!
But...... I still REALLY want a clump birch!! So I contacted the nursery owner and asked him if he'll be ordering in anymore clumping Whitespires. He said that he probably won't be ordering any more this year. When you get large trees late in the season, they're much more stressed and are therefore more susceptible to insect damage. It's safer to only order them in the spring and take care of them from then on than getting them shipped during the season.
So now I have to decide.... do I stick with the Whitespire that I bought, or wait another year and buy a clumping one next spring and call to cancel the tree that I bought?? The single-trunk tree IS pretty..... but it's not cheap!! And it's not like I can return it a couple of weeks after it's delivered if I decide I don't want it!!