Okay kids, thinking caps on please. Finally after months and months of living with white walls :hurl: I think it's time to paint. I got the new chair and think I will try and live with my sofa (if I can find the right colour for the walls).
I'm going to overload you here with pictures just because there is so much going on and possible. So you will see the room, the furniture, some of my stuff just in hopes you'll get a feel for the direction I like to go.
So here's the deal (explaination of the photos that will follow):
1) sofa...not happy with the colour which I have discovered is exactly the colour of a terracotta pot in daylight and brandy at night. Basically too warm a colour for me but I am hoping maybe the right wall colour will tone it down.
There are pictures of the sofa as well as three samples I tried with paint I happen to have. None of them seem to be working so you can see why I need help. The red is a mix of two Farrow & Ball colours, the brown is some paint I had left over from the last house, the purple is a F&B called brinjal which I had in the last house and really liked but it looks a little dull in the photo with the sofa.
2) The rug. You'll see one way it looks in the picture of the sofa and the other in the close up. It can look bright or dull depending on where you stand but it has nearly every colour you can think of in it. It goes pretty well with the sofa because the border is quite a rusty tone. There are also lots of colours in my stained glass panels.
3) The chair, new. Supposedly aubergine, but thousands would say it's brown and gold.
4) the woodwork and bricks and floor. All will remain, none will be painted although sometime in the future those bricks will be covered. They also suit the stupid sofa colour as the wood trim is kind of orangey red. The floor, well forget the floor, it's someone's idea of a match to the trim but it doesn't, it just isn't right and not much chance of that changing.
5) My office. This joins the LR through some divided light doors so it's a bit visible. It's three shades of deep red although my furniture covers all but two. My curtains are also a deep burgundy and are hanging in the office and they are okay. I don't mind the colours of the office at all and have no plans to paint it at the moment.
6) The curtains. I have the burgundy ones I mentioned which are velvet and there are plently more which I would like to use in the DR window. OR I have some green and gold drapes Imade in the last century and never hung. They could easily be put in the DR and the office as there are plenty of those too. I'd sure like to use one of these sets since I have lots and they are both new(ish).
7) I'll throw in pictures of my huge mirror as it will fill one wall. it's an ornate gold. Also a picture of my brass lamp as it's pretty typical of the look I'm after. My lamps have either black/gold shades or are stained glass.
Sorry the picture of the room is one a realtor took. Basically it's the dinning room but you can see another issue I have. It's that plaster cove type thing that cuts across to separate the LR from the DR. Now in my mind, whatever I paint will be dark (if I haven't said it a thousand times before, I don't do white, beige, or any colour that cold be confused with those). A dark stripe going across a light ceiling seems like a bad idea to me so I am trying to figure out how I should handle that.
BTW light comes through the office windows from the south. The DR window and two that are covered with glass panels are west facing.
This is an itty bitty room but I love dark rich colours and have even considered black so let your imagination go wild. I suspect a warm gold might go best but I really find I am not a happy person when surrounded by warm tones (and here I sit with a stupid orange sofa that suits the trim and rug...everything would be fine if not for me and my tastes). BTW I am assuming whatever I paint the LR will also be for DR but I am totally open to ideas.
So, ideas please as I am quite hopeless when it comes to figuring out what to do here.