After living in our house for almost 6 years, we finally have stairs up to the loft!!!! :clapping: :confetti: :bliss: I'm sure the installers were wondering what the big deal was -- I kept going on and on about how exciting it was. They were probably thinking, OK, stairs, what's the big deal :confused: :)
Anyway, now that the stairs are in and we have access to the loft, there's some serious decorating required!! The room is a complete blank slate -- it's drywalled and has a subfloor and rough-ins for the electrical and cable, and that's pretty much it. We're planning to make the loft into a home theater with a few extras, like either an arcade game or a pinball machine.
The only decision we've made so far is the flooring. We're going with unfinished 4" heritage walnut, which looks almost the same as the inspiration pic I found a few years ago (pic below). Hubby wants to paint the room a dark colour, but I'm not so sure dark is the best way to go.
I'll take some pics and post them later. But for now, here's a rough drawing of the loft and the details:
- It's about 530 square feet.
- The walls are either 8' or 9' and the ceiling is vaulted -- I can't remember if it's 12' or 15' at the highest point.
- The two bump-outs at either end are little niches. There's a skylight in each niche, and the ceiling is sloped.
- There are two skylights above the staircase.
- There's a rough-in in the center of the ceiling for a light fixture. That's the only ceiling fixture in the room.
- The staircase is open, so you can see up to the loft from the main floor.
That's pretty much it. So here are the things I'm planning and wondering about:
- Paint colour -- would light or dark be better?? Colour suggestions are most welcome.
- Lighting -- I have an idea for a light fixture to hang in the center of the room. But what about additional lighting?? Should we install potlights, or go with floor & table lamps??
- I think one of the niches would be the perfect spot for a little reading area. A chaise should fit in, but I don't think I could fit a table beside it. Is just a chaise on its own OK, or will it look funny??
- I'm thinking a big comfy sectional for the main seating.
- Inspiration pics would be helpful!!