Boy it doesn't take a blink to have things go from normal to not and so it goes with Ebony. Last week I had her at the vet who told me it was time for a diet (she is overweight thanks to an underactive thyroid) so I had to cut her food in half. So she's been pretty hungry the past few days.
Anyway you remember me and my mice....which I have been baiting...well after 3 years of having that stuff around and her never touching it (not that it's been where she could get it, or so I thought...) it appears that when I went out tonight she did what it took to get one. I never expected her to be able to reach it, she never even hangs out in that part of the house usually. Unfortunately I didn't notice it was gone until about 1 Am and wondered why the proverbial crumbs weren't left and then I saw them ... on my LR carpet where she likes to snack.
Poor thing. She's feeling fine as far as I can tell but I took her to the emerg anyway. They made her puke and shoved a giant tube of charcoal down her because they said she only had a bit left in her tummy so the rest has already gone into her intestines where it could be a big problem. Now we are in wait and see. She's here with me and looking pretty hungry and mystified at the fuss as she's still her normal self. She gets another tube of charcoal in a few hours (which I am supposed to get down her somehow) and then we wait.
apparently I have to get her up to 3 blood tests over the next 3 days to see how much poison she got into her system. If the charcoal doesn't get it all first, she can hemorrhage uncontrollably internally with any slight bump or knock (so no dog park or any other action I'm afraid). If we can catch it fast enough they can give her some treatment in hopes of building up her clotting factor again. I'm worried sick and my vet will be getting a call first thing. He told me even if she ate the bait it probably wouldn't be enough to hurt her and I'm guessing he'll have some more economical way to do this than 3 blood tests. It will be interesting to hear his take on this.
My fear is I know he's short 2 techs right now and taking blood tests are difficult to do because of it. He would also have to wait 12 hours for results which the emerg vets don't but I'm hoping there is a way to avoid any more emerg clinic charges if I can (although I will say I called around before taking her because I know the one close to me likes to vacuum wallets and sure enough I found one that quoted me half the price over the phone and they did come in cheaper than I could have done if I'd even just walked in the door of the other place). So far I'm at $250 with another $300 - $600 to come depending on what happens next.
I guess we'll see. Sorry to blather but who else am I going to tell at 5 am? I feel sick. Stupid me. Stupid mice. Stupid diet which made her hungry enough to even think about going after the stuff. This is just so stupid considering there is no good reason for this to be happening to her. I don't know if I will ever forgive myself is she doesn't come through this. Meanwhile, paws crossed for her please.