Suzanne & Trish’s Style Tips
This past Saturday, Suzanne Dimma and Trish Johnston shared their style tips with attendees of the latest event at the 2011 Princess Margaret Showhome. Couldn’t make it? Here are five of their design tips based on the showhome:
1. Paint the back of a piece of furniture used for dish display. A coloured backdrop makes even the most budget-friendly white dishware look like art.
2. Instead of hanging a mirror or piece of art in your dining room, consider grouping plates that you have collected over the years to make a personal art piece. Tip: Before hanging on the wall, trace the plates onto paper and tape the pieces to the wall. That way you can tweak the configuration before actually hanging the dishes.
3. Elevate a simple built-in with great exposed hardware. The cremone bolts here were found at a vintage store for a steal and really add an elegant touch to the bookcases.
4. For added impact, run your kitchen backsplash tile all the way to the ceiling. In the showhome Trish and Lynda Reeves chose an affordable glazed subway tile but the look is very upscale.
5. When installing new hardwood in your home, consider using a pattern in some rooms instead of just straight boards. A chevron or herringbone pattern is an incredible detail that turns flooring into art. (In this photo, you can see that Mark Challen joined Suzanne and Trish at the event, too!)
Many visitors filtered through the home, checking out all it has to offer. (This station in the kitchen features a Panasonic microwave and a sleek toaster and espresso machine from Krups.) The showhome came together with the generous support of many retailers and suppliers — for full product information about the showhome, visit our Source Guide.
At our upcoming Saturday event, Lynda Reeves and Amy Rosen will be cooking up a storm in the showhome kitchen, making the delectable peanut butter cups seen above. Yum! (Stay tuned: we’ll be posting the recipe soon!)
Don’t forget — there are only eight days left until the Princess Margaret Welcome Home Sweepstakes Early Bird deadline. Order your tickets today!
1-4. House & Home October 2010 issue, photography by Michael Graydon
5-6. Lauren Petroff
7. Jason Stickley