August 13, 2015
Ask A Chef: Gulf Shrimp Toast
John Pritchard and Dave Mottershall of Terre Rouge share their delicious recipe for Gulf Shrimp Toast.
Q: I recently tasted the Gulf Shrimp Toast at Terre Rouge Bistro-Marche in Charlottetown. I’d love to recreate it at home; can you get the recipe? — E.D., HALIFAX
A: Toasts are all the rage these days, from simple egg and avocado to more luxurious dishes like this one. Chefs John Pritchard and Dave Mottershall pair sweet Gulf of St. Lawrence shrimp with tangy rémoulade and crunchy, buttery bread for a unique combination of textures and flavours.
Yield: Serves 8
Make Pickled Squash
- Combine shallots, garlic, bay leaves, mustard seeds, chili flakes, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorn and thyme in bowl. Lay out 10″ sq. cheesecloth. Place spice mixture in centre of cheesecloth and tie up with string to form sachet.
- Pour cider vinegar, water and maple syrup into non-reactive saucepan. Add salt and sachet. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and bring to very low simmer for 10 minutes. Add squash and cook until just tender, 8 minutes. Strain, reserving liquid for another use.
- Combine all ingredients up to and including squash in bowl of food processor and pulse until incorporated. (Do not purée; there should still be chunks of egg and squash easily visible.) Season with salt and pepper.
Make Shrimp and Assemble Toasts
- Bring medium saucepan of salted water to boil. Prepare an ice bath in large bowl. Add asparagus to boiling water and cook until al dente, about 2 minutes. Drain and plunge into ice bath. Reheat asparagus by dipping in hot water just before serving.
- Peel and devein shrimp; remove and discard tails. Heat sauté pan over medium- high heat. Add 8 tbsp butter to pan and let melt then allow to start sizzling. Continue cooking until butter has turned nut brown, approx. 5 minutes total. Add shallots, garlic, sage and chili flakes, and swirl in pan. Add shrimp and stir until almost cooked through, 1 minute. Add wine and lemon juice; cook 1 minute. Add parsley and remaining 2 tbsp cold butter. Remove from heat and stir until sauce is smooth.
- Heat separate pan over medium heat. Generously butter both sides of each bread slice and place in pan. Toast both sides until golden brown with crisp exterior.
- Place heaping soup spoonful of rémoulade on large plate. Pull spoon through rémoulade to elongate. Place toast on an angle across rémoulade. Lay 3 to 4 pieces hot asparagus across toast. Spoon shrimp and butter over toast and drizzle extra butter around plate.