Boy George’s Steamed Asparagus With Pumpkin-Seed Salsa VerdeRecipe By: Amelia Freer
This is a salsa verde that Boy George often makes, and since he shared his recipe with me, I now make it all the time too. As is his generous nature, he has shared it with us all. We had a lovely time making it (and eating it) together.
- 1 bulb of fennel, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons capers, or olives if you prefer
- 2 handfuls of pumpkin seeds
- 1 handful of fresh mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast ﬂakes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large bunch of asparagus, trimmed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- First make the salsa verde. Put the fennel, capers (or olives), pumpkin seeds, mint and yeast ﬂakes into a small food processor and pulse until smooth. Add the olive oil and pulse again until well incorporated—you might need to add extra oil to bring the salsa verde together.
- Steam the asparagus for 3 minutes, then serve with the salsa verde drizzled over, or as a dip on the side. Season to taste.