May 23, 2018
Cabo Cabo Shrimp Tostadas
Try this recipe for Cabo Cabo Shrimp Tostadas from The Great Shellfish Cookbook.
In this dish, I chose to use sustainably sourced U.S. wild shrimp from the Gulf of Mexico, because their taste takes me back to the beautiful beaches, hot sun, and fresh flavors of Mexico. Grab a margarita and you’ll be all set.
Yield: Serves 4
- In a medium-size skillet, over medium-high heat, heat the 1/2 cup of canola oil to 350°F. Line a plate with paper towels.
- Use tongs to place the corn tortillas, one at a time, in the hot oil and fry each side for approximately 1 minute, or until crispy and brown. Transfer the fried tortillas to the prepared plate and sprinkle with salt. Set aside.
- Next, slice the avocados in half and remove the pits, but keep the flesh intact in the skin. Using a sharp knife, make four vertical cuts into each avocado half, not breaking the skin. Turn the avocado 90 degrees and make four more cuts for a criss-cross pattern. Using a tablespoon, carefully remove the diced avocado flesh from the skin and place it in a medium-size bowl.
- Add the onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, jalapeño, and chili powder to the bowl with the avocados. Using the back of the spoon or a fork, mash the avocados in the bowl together with the other vegetables to make a guacamole, and set aside at room temperature until needed.
- In a medium-size skillet, heat the remaining 1 tbsp of canola oil over medium-high heat. Carefully add the tequila, agave nectar, and shrimp and cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until the shrimp are cooked through and opaque in color.
- Remove the shrimp from the skillet and place them in a clean bowl. Set aside at room temperature until needed.
- On a clean work surface, lay out each tostada (fried corn tortilla). Spoon on the guacamole mixture and top with cooked shrimp and cilantro. Serve with a couple of lime quarters per person.
Excerpted from The Great Shellfish Cookbook: From Sea to Table More than 100 Recipes to Cook at Home by Matt Dean Pettit. Copyright © 2018 Matt Dean Pettit. Photography copyright © 2018 Ksenija Hotic. Published by Appetite by Random House®, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.