Chocolate Chip Ice Cream SandwichesRecipe By: Amy Rosen
A throwback to the Chipwich made popular in the 1980s, these luscious ice cream sandwiches will never go out of style. Enjoy this summertime favourite snack tonight for dessert.
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 tsp vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄4 tsp baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup regular-size semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 pint premium vanilla ice cream
- 3⁄4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
Directions Yield: Makes 6
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. In a bowl, beat shortening, butter and sugars for 1 minute, or until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat again. Add flour, salt and baking soda; mix together. Stir in regular-size chocolate chips.
- Place approx. 2-tbsp mounds of batter well-spaced on cookie sheets, 6 cookies on each. (They’ll spread out when baking.) Bake 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool 2 to 3 minutes (they should still be soft), then use a 31⁄2″-diam. cookie cutter to remove rough edges and make uniform cookies. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Take ice cream out of freezer to soften. Place a scoop of ice cream on 1 cookie and top with a second. Gently press cookies together until ice cream reaches edges.
- Spread mini chocolate chips out on a plate. Roll sandwich edges in chips. Wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap; freeze for 1 hour.