Chocolate Compost CookiesRecipe By: Eric Vellend
Momofuku Milk Bar pastry chef and co-owner Christina Tosi took New York by storm with her salty-sweet Compost Cookies. I’ve applied her genius concept to my dark chocolate cookie recipe.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1⁄2 tsp baking soda
- 1⁄4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp finely ground coffee
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 2⁄3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup butter scotch chips
- 1⁄3 cup white chocolate chunks
- 1 cup plain Fritos (corn chips)
- 1 cup mini pretzels
Directions Yield: Makes 32
- In a medium bowl, sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and powder. Stir in coffee and salt.
- In an electric mixer, beat butter and sugars until smooth. Reduce speed to low. Add egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture until combined. Add chocolate and butterscotch chips and white chocolate chunks. Add Fritos and pretzels until just blended.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Drop 2 tbsp of dough 2″ apart on trays. Flatten. Bake until puffy and slightly wet in middle, 12 minutes.