Christmas BiscottiRecipe By: Eric Vellend
I’ve been making variations of these biscotti for more than two decades. The recipe comes from my aunt Sue Devor, a retired pastry chef.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp finely grated orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup shelled pistachios, lightly toasted
- 2⁄3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
Directions Yield: Makes 40
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour and baking powder. Stir in fennel seeds and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together eggs, sugar, zest and vanilla. Slowly stir in oil. Gradually stir in dry mixture until just blended. Stir in pistachios and cranberries. Cover. Rest 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper. Transfer dough to floured work surface. Divide in equal halves. Roll each half into 14″-long log. Transfer to sheet 4″ apart. Flatten logs. Brush with egg white.
- Bake on middle rack until lightly golden and just firm in centres, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Reduce heat to 300°F. Let cool 15 minutes. Carefully transfer logs to cutting board. With sharp serrated knife, slice 3⁄4″ thick on the bias. Transfer cookies back to baking sheet, standing up 1⁄4″ apart. Bake until dry on cut sides, 20 minutes. Cool completely.