Easy Eats: Coconut, Almond And Dark Chocolate BarsRecipe By: Marilou and Alexandre Champagne
Quebec-based food bloggers Marilou and Alexandre Champagne of Trois Fois Par Jour (translation: three times a day) share a Coconut, Almond and Dark Chocolate Bar recipe from their debut cookbook. Named after their blog and written to “nourish minds, bodies and spirits alike,” the cookbook features wholesome recipes that you can feel good eating, like these nutritious treats. “It’s rare not to find a dish of these bars in our kitchen ready to munch on – we eat so many that I make them almost weekly,” says Marilou.
Recipe tip: The secret to making bars that stick together but stay nice and tender is the quality of the dates. Buy organic dates that are shiny and uniform in color, with unbroken skin, and avoid those with brittle, dull, or mottled skin.
- 2 cups Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup almond butter
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- ¼ cup honey
- 3 ½ oz. dark chocolate (70% or raw)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Line an 8″ x 8″ square pan with plastic wrap. Set aside.
- Put the dates in a bowl and cover with warm water. Let soak for 10 minutes and then drain.
- Put the dates, almond flour, almond butter, coconut, and honey into a food processor. Process until smooth.
- Spread the mixture evenly in the bottom of the pan and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate in a double-boiler on the stovetop or in the microwave. Add the coconut oil and stir well. Pour it on top of the date mixture, and spread evenly over top. Refrigerate for an hour and then slice into squares.