August 5, 2015
Grilled Steak And Chicken Swords With Tomato Salsa
Want to learn chef Mario Cassini’s secrets? Try out his grilled steak and chicken sword recipe. The Brazilian method of grilling meats on swords can be adapted at home using two 16″ metal skewers. Top sirloin is the most popular cut of beef for the barbecue in Brazil. For best results use easier-to-find New York strip steaks.
Yield: Serves 6-8
- To make chicken, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- To make salsa, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix thoroughly. Season. Cover and chill.
- Combine butter and garlic in a small saucepan over medium heat to make glaze. Cook until lightly golden, 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add bay leaf and vinegar.
- One hour before grilling, thread steaks lengthwise onto 2 16″ metal skewers, holding skewers 1″ apart. Rub with oil. Season with coarse salt and pepper. Cover. Fold chicken thighs in half along bone line. Thread onto 2 16″ metal skewers, holding skewers 1″ apart. Cover. Let meats sit at room temperature 45 minutes.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Oil grate. Add meat skewers. Grill chicken until cooked through, 7 to 8 minutes per side. Grill steak until desired doneness, about 8 to 9 minutes per side for medium-rare. (An instant-read thermometer inserted in centre should register 125°F.) Heat up glaze and brush over meats. Let rest 10 minutes. Serve chicken pieces whole and slice beef. Serve with salsa.