Grilled Tomatoes With Spinach Stuffing
Talk about Southern Hospitality—Southern comfort food offers up soulful dishes perfect for casual entertaining during the summer season. For starters, try out this Grilled Tomato With Spinach Stuffing recipe, a classic Southern side dish.
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, divided
- 1 10-oz. (300 g) package frozen spinach, thawed
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp flour
- 3⁄4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 11⁄2 lb. beefsteak tomatoes, sliced
- 1⁄4″ thick (to yield about 12 slices)
- 11⁄2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- To make spinach stuffing, melt 3 tbsp butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add spinach, cream and nutmeg, and bring to a boil. Combine remaining 1 tbsp of butter with flour in a bowl and mash until a paste forms. Break flour paste into bits and drop into simmering spinach mixture, stirring until combined.
- Allow to simmer 3 minutes, or until cream is slightly thickened. Add breadcrumbs and stir until combined. Season well with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Preheat broiler on high (500°F). Lay tomato slices on an oiled baking sheet. Top each slice with 2 heaping tbsp of spinach stuffing and spread to cover most of tomato. Place in oven with rack about 6″ from top element and broil for 3 to 4 minutes, or until stuffing is lightly browned and tomatoes are slightly softened. Remove from oven, sprinkle each slice with about 2 tbsp of cheese. (The tomatoes can be prepared up to this point and reserved, finishing just before serving if desired.) Broil for 2 to 3 minutes longer or until cheese is bubbling and lightly browned.