November 22, 2019
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
These pretty mini cakes are a perfect way to wow your guests. Use flavorful wildflower honey, if possible, and dust with icing sugar right before serving, if desired. It’s best to have two pans so you don’t need to clean and re-grease pans while making a single batch.
Yield: Makes 24 large madeleines
Plan Ahead: Batter needs to chill for at least 1 hour before using.
- Using pastry brush, brush insides of 2 large nonstick madeleine moulds with melted butter and dust with flour. Place pans in freezer for at least 20 minutes.
- In bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In separate bowl, grate orange zest into sugar and stir to combine. Reserve.
- In large bowl, or bowl of stand mixer with paddle attachment, combine eggs, sugar mixture and honey, and whisk or beat until mixture has thickened and lightened in color. Add flour mixture and beat until just combined. Add melted butter and beat until uniform. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour, or up to 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Scrape batter into large pastry bag fitted with round tip (or use freezer bag with corner snipped off). Pipe batter into prepared madeleine moulds to fill about three quarters full. Do not spread batter.
- Put pans on rimmed baking sheet and place in oven on rack above middle rack and bake for 8 minutes, or until cake springs back when touched where it’s risen in the center. Serve warm.