Jake’s Cowboy BeansRecipe By: Andy Husbands & Chris Hart
Try this recipe for Jake’s Cowboy Beans from the cookbook Pitmaster.
These beans were inspired by Texas barbecue tradition… It’s hard to go wrong with a base of flavors that include cane syrup, coffee, bourbon, and barbecue brisket.
- 2 cups dry pinto beans
- 2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup cane syrup
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- ½ cup bourbon
- 1 pound chopped barbecue brisket
- 4 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Soak the pinto beans overnight in cold water.
- Strain the beans and place in a 6-quart saucepan. Cover the beans with water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 1 hour.
- Drain the beans and return to the saucepan.
- Add the barbecue sauce, cane syrup, coffee, bourbon, chopped brisket, chili powder, cumin, and red pepper flakes.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Taste and add kosher salt as needed.
Tip: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week.