La Palma’s Sous Vide Chilled King Salmon With Avocado And CitrusRecipe By: Craig Harding
Delicate items like salmon fillets have a tendency to stick together while cooking. To help separate them, make sure there’s adequate olive oil in the freezer bag. The fish will be very tender so take care when removing it from the bag.
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives, parsley or tarragon
- 4 6 oz./175 g skinless, boneless King salmon fillets, about 1″ thick
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup kosher salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus more for garnish
Avocado and Citrus
- 1 orange
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 avocado
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp mustard
- Cut salmon fillets in half widthwise. In large bowl, whisk water with salt and sugar until dissolved. Submerge fillets in the brine and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove salmon from brine and discard brine (do not rinse salmon). Place salmon in freezer bag. Add oil and gently massage fillets until coated. Leave bag unsealed.
- Fill an 8-quart pot three-quarters full with warm water. Submerge sous vide machine in pot and heat water to 117°F. When water has come to temperature, sink all but top of bag in water to let air escape. Clip unsealed bag to side of pot. Cook for 45 minutes.
- Carefully remove salmon from bag; the fillets will be fragile. Transfer to plate and use paper towel to blot off excess oil. Chill until ready to serve.
- Slice top and bottom off orange and grapefruit to expose flesh. Stand fruit on flat end and, working from top to bottom, slice off peel and pith following contours of fruit. Hold fruit in one hand over large bowl (to catch juices) and carefully cut out segments between membrane. Squeeze remaining juice from membranes into bowl. Reserve segments and juices separately.
- Peel avocado and remove pit. Cut into slices.
- Toss avocado with reserved citrus juice and drizzle of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In small bowl, whisk together honey and mustard. Set aside.
Assemble And Serve
- Divide citrus, avocado and salmon between 4 plates.
- Drizzle Honey Mustard over salmon and garnish with chopped herbs. Serve immediately.