Mushroom Tacos With Corn Salsa And Chipotle CremaRecipe By: Eric Vellend
These vegetarian tacos will satisfy even the staunchest of carnivores with meaty portabellos, lime-kissed corn salsa, verdant pea shoots and a smoky smear of chipotle crema.
- Corn Salsa
- 2 ears corn, shucked
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 1 roasted red pepper, peeled, seeded, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chipotle Crema
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 tsp chipotle pepper powder
- Grilled Portabellos
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 6 large portabello mushrooms, stems trimmed to 1⁄2″
- 12 6″ corn or flour tortillas
- Pea shoots (for garnish)
If you can’t find chipotle powder, use equal parts smoked paprika and cayenne instead.
- To make salsa, bring large pot of water to boil. Boil corn for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool. Holding corn perpendicular to cutting board, use a sharp knife to remove kernels by slicing down. Place lime juice and onion in a medium bowl. Let stand 15 minutes. Stir in rest of ingredients, including corn kernels. Cover and set aside.
- To make chipotle crema, whisk sour cream, chipotle powder and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. In small bowl, whisk vegetable oil, garlic and cumin and brush over mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Grill mushrooms until tender, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to cutting board and cut into thick slices.
- Warm tortillas by grilling each 5 seconds per side, or microwaving in a stack, covered, for 20 to 30 seconds on high. Lay tortillas out on a counter and smear with chipotle crema. Add salsa and mushrooms to each and top with pea shoots.