Pineapple SquaresRecipe By: Amy Rosen
This old-fashioned dessert made frequent appearances in community cook books of the 1950s. Its moist cake and crunchy topping are just as delicious today.
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp plus 1cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 3 large eggs,well beaten
- 1 14-oz./397-mL can (1 cup) canned, crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 200-g bag (2 cups) shredded sweetened coconut
Directions Yield: Makes 16 squares
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter an 8 inch x 8 inch pan.
- Cream together 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 teaspoon of sugar. Sift flour, salt and baking powder, then add to butter and sugar. Add 1⁄2 of the beaten eggs. Mix thoroughly and spread into pan (it will be sticky).
- Spread pineapple over top.
- Mix 1 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon of melted butter and coconut, then add remaining beaten eggs and mix well. Spread over pineapple and bake for 30 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool, then cut into squares.