Rib Roast with Horseradish-Mustard Sauce
This recipe, adapted from The New York Times, makes an effortless rib roast.
- Horseradish-Mustard Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 4 tbsp prepared white horseradish
- 4 tbsp grainy mustard
- ½ tsp sugar
- Freshly cracked pepper to taste
- Classic Rib Roast
- 1 3-rib roast of beef, weighing 8 to 9 lb. (Tip: ask the butcher to prepare the roast “restaurant style”)
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly cracked pepper
Directions Yield: Serves 6
- Let roast come to room temperature before cooking. Preheat oven to 500 °F.
- To make horseradish sauce, in a small bowl combine mayonnaise, horseradish, mustard and sugar, and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate.
- Place roast in a roasting pan, fat side up. Sprinkle with flour and massage into fat. Season entire roast with salt and pepper. Roast for 45 minutes, turn off oven but don’t open oven door. Leave roast in oven for 2 hours. The roast should have a crusty exterior. Remove from oven 20 minutes before serving, snip off butcher’s string and tent with foil. (You can reheat it at 225 °F for 15 minutes, then let it rest 10 minutes before serving). Serve with Horseradish-Mustard Sauce.