October 3, 2019
Spinach & Pumpernickel Stuffing
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
If you’re juggling dishes for oven time, cook this stuffing the day before and refrigerate. While the turkey is resting, slip the stuffing into a 325°F oven, loosely covered, and it’ll be warm and perfect by the time the turkey is served.
Yield: Serves 6 to 8
- In large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add onions, carrots and celery and sauté, 5 to 7 minutes, or until tender. Add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Gradually add in spinach, allowing it to wilt, then adding more, until all has been incorporated. Stir in water chestnuts and parsley, and remove from heat.
Assemble & Bake Stuffing
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Tear or cut bread into 1 1⁄2-inch pieces and transfer to large bowl. Grease a 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish with butter.
- Add cooked vegetables to bowl with bread and toss to combine. Drizzle in chicken stock until evenly moist. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to baking dish and dot with more butter.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for 20 minutes, or until top is golden and stuffing is hot throughout. Garnish with more parsley and serve.
House & Home October 2018