Strawberry SoupRecipe By: Kristin Eppich
Lime juice adds a touch of acidity to the sweet berries, and the mascarpone introduces an element of indulgence.
- 3 lb. fresh ripe strawberries, hulled, coarsely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice, divided
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar 1⁄2 cup mascarpone
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp chopped mint plus more for garnish
- Shortbread Crisps, for serving (recipe here)
Directions Yield: Serves 4
- Combine strawberries, sugar and 1⁄2 cup water in large saucepan over low heat. Stir until sugar has dissolved and berries are warm, 4 to 5 minutes. Cover and simmer gently 15 minutes, or until berries are tender and have released their juices. Remove from heat, cover and let sit 1 hour.
- Working in batches, ladle berries into fine sieve. Using back of ladle, press berry juice through sieve into large bowl. Discard solids. Repeat with all of berry mixture. Stir in 1⁄4 cup lime juice and balsamic vinegar. Cover and refrigerate until cold, 2 to 3 hours.
- Stir mascarpone with remaining lime juice, maple syrup and mint in bowl. Spread onto parchment-lined plate and form into 1⁄2″-thick disc. Freeze until firm, approx. 1 hour.
For the Garnish
- Ladle cold soup into chilled bowls. Coarsely chop frozen mascarpone and scatter over soup. Garnish each bowl with more mint.