The Best-Ever Apple PieRecipe By: Eric Vellend
This pie can be made up to 2 days in advance and stored in a cool spot lightly covered with plastic wrap.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted, plus more for rolling
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 tsp fine sea salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cold, grated
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening, cold
- 1⁄2 cup ice water
- 3 lb. firm cooking apples (Mutsu, Northern Spy, Pink Lady)
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tsp ground allspice
- Large pinch fine sea salt
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1 tbsp fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- Ice cream, for serving
Directions Yield: Serves 8 to 10
- To make crust, combine all ingredients except water in large bowl. Mix with your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal with some pea-size pieces of butter. Gradually stir in water with fork. When mixture starts clumping, form dough with hands. Divide in half. Flatten each portion into disk. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- To make filling, peel, core and cut apples into 1⁄4″ slices. In small bowl, combine sugars, spices and salt. Heat butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add apples. Cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add sugar mixture. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring often, until apples start to soften, 5 minutes. Stir in flour. In small bowl, mix starch and lemon juice. Stir into apples. Remove pot from heat. Transfer apple filling to roasting pan. Cool completely before using.
- Place baking stone on bottom shelf of oven. Cover with foil to catch drips. Preheat oven to 425°F.
- On floured work surface, roll one portion of dough into 12″ circle. Line 9″ pie plate. Pour in filling. Spread evenly. Brush rim of pastry with egg. Roll other dough portion into 11″ circle. Place on top. Trim off excess. Crimp edges with fork or fingers. Cut at least 3 slashes in top for steam vents. Brush top with egg. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Place pie on foil-covered baking stone. Bake 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°F. Bake until crust is golden and fruit is bubbling, another 35 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool at least 2 hours. Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream.