West’s Braised Lamb With Boulangère Potatoes And RadicchioRecipe By: Warren Geraghty
Lamb shoulder is an affordable cut that’s still very flavorful. Chef Geraghty serves this with homemade mint sauce as well.
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, very thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 small (2–3 lb.) boneless lamb shoulder roast, tied
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large russet potatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 head radicchio, quartered
- Olive oil (for brushing)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 orange
- Salt and pepper
Directions Yield: Serves 4
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until softened and just golden, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 2 minutes, then add rosemary and thyme and sauté another 1 minute. Remove from pan and reserve.
- Wipe out pan and heat another 2 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Season lamb with salt and pepper and sear about 4 minutes per side or until deeply golden all over. Reserve.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Use some of melted butter to grease an 8″ x 8″ casserole dish. Peel potatoes and slice very thinly, about 1/4″. Layer in about one-fifth of sliced potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and top with a layer of about one third of onion mixture. Repeat, ending with a layer of potatoes, and seasoning with salt and pepper at each layer. Add chicken stock (it should come about halfway up sides of the pan) and brush top with remaining butter. Place casserole on a baking sheet and place a rack directly over dish. Place lamb on top of rack. Bake about 2 hours or until lamb is tender and potatoes are beginning to brown.
- Remove lamb and let rest, covered, 20 minutes. Meanwhile, increase oven temperature to 400°F and continue to cook potatoes another 15 minutes or until golden on top.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush radicchio quarters with olive oil and grill until lightly charred, about 2 minutes per side. Meanwhile, whisk together 3 tbsp olive oil, honey, white wine vinegar, orange juice and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add grilled radicchio and cover with plastic wrap for 15 minutes.
- Slice lamb and serve with potatoes and warm radicchio alongside. Serve with mint sauce if desired.