June 15, 2015
5 Ways To Add Curb Appeal
When it comes to home décor, we often overlook the outdoors. But improving your home’s curb appeal shouldn’t be reserved for reselling purposes. Here are five quick and easy ways to freshen up your front entry that you can enjoy year round:
1. Add character and colour with planters. They come in all shapes, sizes and colours, and you can change the plantings to suit the season. A bright flower is a great way to add a pop of colour to your front entry, and it’s temporary, so no commitment needed! Consider cleaning up old planters with a coat of paint — or change the colour altogether for a fun change.
2. Highlight your home with more lighting. Add more lights or just replace your existing bulbs with brighter ones. Consider using energy saving products to keep your costs down, like solar powered lights along pathways to help guide guests along in the evenings.
3. Warm up hard concrete by adding a rug. Introducing a rug or runner in warmer weather is another opportunity to add colour, pattern and texture to your home, and adds a hit of warmth to outdoor surfaces.
4. Make a statement with a bright front door. Everyone is familiar with this trick, but it’s sure to clean up the façade of your home. Painting your front door in a bold colour is a fun way to add personality to a front entrance on a budget. If a bright colour isn’t for you, try a deeper, richer tone, or even something neutral with a just a hint of colour.
5. Invite guests to stay with seating. If you have the space, a bench, small chair or side table by the entry is a welcoming addition, and convenient for quick visits. This also becomes very useful on those days when you’re fumbling to find your keys around an armful of groceries.
Front door colour, Yellow Finch (2024-40), Benjamin Moore.
Maison & Demeure February 2015 issue