April 14, 2023
Adrian Forte’s Curry Chicken Spring Rolls
These spring rolls are from Yawd: Modern Afro-Caribbean Recipes by Adrian Forte. Appetite by Random House, 2022, $35.
“Jamaica has a huge population of Chinese Jamaicans who migrated to the island in the 1980s, and they’ve vastly contributed to the food culture. This recipe is nostalgic and pays homage to my native country.” — Adrian Forte
Make Pickled Scotch Bonnets
- In saucepan over medium heat, combine 1 cup of water with vinegar, salt, pepper flakes, garlic and dill seeds, and bring to a boil.
- Place Scotch bonnets in sterilized 16 oz. mason jar. Pour brine over, filling jar within 1⁄2″ of top. Seal with lid and store for up to 3 months. Once opened, use within 6 weeks.
Make Scotch Bonnet Paste
- Combine all ingredients in blender or food processor. Purée until paste is smooth and lump free. Transfer to sterilized jar, seal and store in fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Make Curry Paste
- Heat coconut oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic paste, ginger, scallions, lemongrass paste, spices and salt. Stir well and cook until onions are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to food processor and add Scotch Bonnet Paste, lemon juice and cilantro. Pulse or purée until paste reaches smooth consistency. Transfer to airtight container and store in fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- In slow cooker, add Curry Paste, coconut milk, chicken stock, thyme, ginger, Scotch Bonnet Paste, onion and green onion, and mix well.
- Add chicken breast and mix well to make sure chicken is fully immersed in cooking liquid.
- Cover and cook for 31⁄2 hours. Remove chicken breast from slow cooker and, using 2 dinner forks, pull chicken apart until completely shredded.
- Return chicken to slow cooker and mix well, put in mixing bowl and reserve for spring rolls.
Make Coconut Aioli
- In separate mixing bowl, combine coconut cream, garlic paste, lime juice and salt, and whisk until emulsified. Set aside.
Assemble and Deep-Fry Spring Rolls
- Place spring roll wrappers on work surface. Fill each with 2 tbsp of chicken filling. Tuck end in, then roll up. Seal edges with beaten egg yolk.
- Heat 2 cups of vegetable oil in wok or heavy skillet to 350°F.
- When hot, add spring rolls in batches of 4 and deep-fry for 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove to paper towel to drain. Serve hot with dipping sauce.