Ask A Chef: Fettuccine With Tomatoes, Mozzarella & ArugulaRecipe By: Alida Solomon
Alida Solomon of Tutti Matti shares her recipe for Fettuccine with Tomatoes, Mozzarella & Arugula.
Q: I love the pasta at Tutti Matti in Toronto. My favorite is with tomatoes, garlic and fresh mozzarella. It looks simple enough… Is it possible to get the recipe? — WENDY, Toronto
A: Chef Alida Solomon says one of the keys to her fettuccine aglione is to use a few yellow tomatoes, which gives the sauce a golden hue. She also infuses the oil with whole garlic cloves instead of chopped for a more delicate flavour.
- 2 lb. ripe assorted tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed
- 1 small handful fresh basil leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground
- pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. fresh fettuccine
- 1 250-g. ball buffalo mozzarella, torn into small chunks, at room temperature
- 4 small handfuls baby arugula
- Cut small tomatoes in half, medium ones in quarters and larger ones into thick wedges.
- In large sauté pan, heat oil over medium-low. Add garlic. Cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Raise heat to medium. Add tomatoes and basil. Adjust heat so tomatoes sizzle. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes are just starting to fall apart, 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat until ready to use.
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil and cook pasta according to instructions on package. Warm sauce over low heat while pasta cooks. Drain pasta and add to tomatoes. Gently mix. Check for seasoning.
- Divide pasta among 4 wide-rimmed bowls. Top with cheese and arugula.