July 5, 2022
Ask a Chef: Kale Salad with Caper Vinaigrette, Crotonese Cheese and Bacon
Chef Steven Wall of Supply & Demand in Ottawa shares his Kale Salad with Caper Vinaigrette, Crotonese Cheese and Bacon recipe.
Q: I had the best kale salad at Supply & Demand in Ottawa. The texture of the kale was unlike anything I’ve ever had. Can you get the recipe for me so I can make it at home? — SARAH, Ottawa
A: The secret to this dish is a rather unusual approach to preparing the kale. “We read that people were massaging their kale,” says Steven. “Well, we found that funny and needed to try it ourselves, so we created this salad on a whim. Now it’s one of our most popular dishes!” Gently rubbing the kale breaks down its fibres, which creates a tender base, and the tartness from the vinaigrette complements the rich bacon and salty Crotonese — a Pecorino-style aged semifirm cheese.
Send your questions to [email protected]
Yield: 4 Servings
- In blender, combine anchovies, mustard, capers, shallot, garlic, vinegar and water. Blend until smooth.
- With blender running, slowly drizzle in oil.
PREPARE KALE, BACON AND BREADCRUMBS
- Preheat oven to 350F. Pick kale from stems. Rub each leaf between your fingers, until leaves become tender and turn dark green.
- To baking sheet add bacon. Place in oven and cook until crisp. Drain fat and reserve.
- In frying pan over medium heat, add bacon fat and saute. breadcrumbs, until golden and crunchy.
- In large bowl, toss massaged kale with Caper Vinaigrette, toasted breadcrumbs, bacon and pinch of salt.
- Arrange in serving bowls. To serve, top with large mound of grated Crotonese cheese.