November 15, 2023
Ask A Chef: Sean Finnerty of Parsons Brewing Company Shares the Recipe for Spiced Apple Cake
Q: I just had the Spiced Apple Cake at Parsons Brewing Company in Picton, Ont. It was the most delicious autumnal dessert! Could you get the recipe so I can recreate it at home? – Nick, Ottawa
A: “For me, apples just scream autumn,” says chef Sean Finnerty. After he created the cake for a special Harvest-themed dinner, Sean got so many questions about the dessert from customers and even staff, that it has become a permanent fixture of the menu. “The mixture of sweet and tart Ontario apples, paired with gingerbread spices and rich ice cream is the perfect end to a hearty meal.”
Yield: 20 Cakes
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Grease large muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Peel and remove core from apples, cut into half-inch dice.
- Spread onto parchment lined baking tray and bake at 375°F for 10 minutes.
- In medium mixing bowl whisk together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cream butter and sugar together with stand mixer, hand mixer or spatula for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add in eggs one at a time until incorporated.
- Stir in applesauce.
- Add in flour mixture and gently mix until all dry ingredients are incorporated. Be careful to not overmix or your cakes will be tough.
- Divide apple chunks evenly between muffin wells. Scoop cake batter on top of apples and fill to 3/4 full.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in to the middle comes out clean.
- Cool and de mould.
- Serve with warm maple syrup and vanilla ice cream.