Asparagus Salad With Grapefruit, Goat Cheese & Pine NutsRecipe By: Eric Vellend
To serve asparagus raw, you need spears that are very fresh. This salad is also delicious substituting two oranges for the grapefruit and shelled pistachios in place of pine nuts.
- 2 large bunches asparagus (about 3 lb.)
- 1 large Ruby Red grapefruit
- 1⁄4 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 oz. fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tsp finely chopped chives
- Trim and discard woody ends of asparagus. Using a sharp peeler, shave 6 thickest spears into long ribbons. Cover ribbons and chill.
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil. Add remaining asparagus. Cook until crisp-tender, 1 to 3 minutes. Drain and immediately plunge into ice water. Cool, drain and dry on paper towel.
- Remove peel and pith of grapefruit with sharp knife. Working over bowl, carefully cut out segments making sure no membranes are attached. Squeeze leftover membranes to extract all juice. Strain segments, reserving juice. Refrigerate segments.
- To make dressing, place grapefruit juice in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, watching closely, until reduced to 2 tbsp. Remove from heat. Cool. Place in small bowl with sugar, vinegar and oil. Season. Whisk until combined.
- In large mixing bowl, combine shaved and cooked asparagus. Add some dressing and season. Mix thoroughly. Arrange on serving platter. Top with grapefruit segments, goat cheese, pine nuts and chives.