October 5, 2023
“This familiar, friendly dish is ideal for the pressure cooker. Tougher cuts of meat will find their happy place in the appliance, which makes them fall-apart tender. Thanks to the pressure cooker, these comfort meals are only a press of a button away!” – Ricardo Larrivée
Yield: Serves 4
Make Beef Broth
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 500°F. On a baking sheet, spread out the beef bones, onions, carrots and garlic (and ginger if making pho beef broth). Bake for 30 minutes or until the bones are well browned. Place the bones and vegetables in the container of your pressure cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Secure the lid and select the Soup function (or set to High pressure). Set the cooking time to 45 minutes.
- When ready, let your pressure cooker depressurize naturally (about 15 minutes), then remove the lid. Strain the broth through a sieve, then compost the bones, vegetables and spices. Let cool. Cover and refrigerate to allow the fat to rise to the surface and solidify, if desired. Degrease the cooled broth before use or freezing. The broth will keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator or for up to 6 months in the freezer.
Make Beef Bourguignon
- Preheat the container of your pressure cooker on the Sauté function for 2 minutes. Brown the mushrooms, bacon and carrot in 1 tbsp of butter.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over high heat, brown the beef in the remaining 1 tbsp of butter. Season with salt and pepper. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes. Deglaze with the wine. Transfer to the pressure cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Stir to thoroughly combine. Season with salt and pepper. Secure the lid and select the Meat function (or set to High pressure). Set the cooking time to 35 minutes.
- When ready, let your pressure cooker depressurize naturally (about 15 minutes), then remove the lid. Adjust the seasoning. Serve with mashed potatoes, if desired.
Excerpted from Multicooker Everything by Ricardo. © 2023 Ricardo Media. Photography credits: Jean-Michel Poirier (Minestrone with Winter Veg), Ricardo Media (Beef Bourguignon, Sticky Toffee Pudding). Published by Appetite by Random House®, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved