Beet & Apple Soup With FetaRecipe By: Eric Vellend
To protect against staining from the beets, wear rubber gloves and a full apron, and grate them directly over a large bowl.
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 lb. beets, peeled, coarsely grated
- 2 McIntosh apples, peeled, cored, chopped
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 lb. sheep’s milk feta, crumbled
- Chopped dill, for garnish
Directions Yield: Serves 8
- In large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring, 5 minutes (reduce heat if it starts to brown). Add beets, apples and stock. Raise heat to high. When it comes to boil, reduce to simmer. Cook until beets are tender, 25 minutes.
- Purée soup in blender until smooth. Transfer to clean pot. Add vinegar, salt and pepper. Keep warm over low heat.
- To serve, ladle soup into warmed bowls. Sprinkle with feta and dill.