Butter Chicken Hand Pies With Cilantro Yogurt SauceRecipe By: Kristen Eppich
Total Time: 2 1/2 hours, including resting and chilling time
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 1⁄2 hours, including resting and chilling time
- 1 batch chilled Perfect Pastry (recipe here)
- All-purpose flour, for rolling
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 2 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 2 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1⁄2 tsp turmeric
- 1⁄4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups shredded chicken from store-bought rotisserie chicken
- 1 egg yolk whisked with 1 tbsp milk or cream, for egg wash
- 1 tbsp nigella seeds
Cilantro Yogurt Sauce
- 3⁄4 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Directions Yield: Makes 6 Hand Pies
Make And Chill Dough
- Make Perfect Pastry (recipe here).
- Heat oil in medium-size, heavy-bottom pot over medium-low heat. Add onions and sauté, stirring, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring, or until vegetables just start to caramelize.
- Add coriander, garam masala, cumin, turmeric and cayenne, and cook 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and water and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring often, until mixture is thick and reduced to 1 1⁄2 cups, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in cream and simmer 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Stir shredded chicken into sauce.
Assemble And Cook Pies
- Arrange racks in lower third of oven. Preheat to 425°F.
- Divide dough into two even pieces. Roll out first portion on floured surface to 1⁄8″thickness. Cut out 3 7″-diam. circles, rerolling as needed, with a pastry cutter or tracing a small plate with a sharp knife.
- Place 1⁄3 cup chicken mixture into centre of each dough circle. Brush egg wash over edge of half the circle then fold over forming half moon. Transfer to parchment- lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and chicken mixture.
- Press edges of each pie with fork to seal, then crimp to desired pattern. Brush with remaining egg wash, then sprinkle with nigella seeds (at Indian food shops). Make a few small slits in top of each pie for vents.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until pastry is a deep golden colour. Remove from oven and let rest 20 minutes before serving.
Make Sauce And Serve Pies
- Stir yogurt with milk, fresh herbs and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hand pies with a dollop of cilantro yogurt sauce.