Carrot, Celeriac & Pear SaladRecipe By: Eric Vellend
Soaking the shaved carrot and celeriac in cold water turns them into wavy curls that give body to the salad.
- 1 tbsp finely chopped shallot
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup cold-pressed sunflower oil
- 1 medium celeriac (about 1 lb.)
- 3 medium organic carrots
- 1 large firm-ripe Bosc pear
- 2 green onions (green part only), thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 large handful arugula
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted, chopped
Directions Yield: Serves 6 to 8
- To make dressing, place all ingredients in lidded glass jar and shake to combine. Refrigerate up to 3 days.
- To make salad, peel celeriac. Cut into 3⁄4″-thick slices. Using a mandoline, cut each slice into long, thin strips. Place in cold water for 20 minutes. Drain and dry on tea towel.
- Peel carrots. Cut in half crosswise. Using a mandoline, cut each piece into long, thin strips. Place in cold water for 20 minutes. Drain and dry on tea towel.
- When ready to serve, cut pear into quarters. Remove stem and core. Cut quarters lengthwise into long, thin slices. Place in large mixing bowl with celeriac, carrot, onion, celery and arugula. Drizzle with some dressing. Season with salt and pepper. Mix. Transfer to serving platter. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.