Catriona Smart’s Mulled Wine SangriaRecipe By: Catriona Smart
Batch-mix this signature cocktail ahead of time for easy pouring, and be sure to make extra because there’s nothing worse than running out.
- 1 bottle red wine (preferably Spanish)
- Zest of 1 large orange
- 4 cinnamon sticks, and cloves (if desired)
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cognac, such as Hennessy
- 1⁄4 cup Cointreau or Grand Marnier Orange juice
- Cranberry juice
- Frozen cranberries, orange slices and cinnamon sticks for garnish
Directions Yield: Makes 6 to 8 drinks
- In a medium pot, combine wine, zest, cinnamon sticks and sugar, and reduce by a little less than half.
- For one drink, take 3 oz. wine reduction, 1⁄2 oz. cognac, 3⁄4 oz. Cointreau, a splash of cranberry and orange juices, and shake with ice.
- Add cranberries to glass, strain drink over top, and garnish with orange slice and cinnamon stick. Or, add cognac and Cointreau to wine reduction, and serve warm.