January 4, 2015
Cauliflower With Truffle Oil
For a less-heavy version of this soup, hold the butter or oil and simmer all the vegetables together in the stock. Skip the cream at the end, and serve the truffle oil on the side so diners can drizzle it themselves.
Yield: Serves 6
- Trim and discard cauliflower leaves. Cut 1 heaping cup of 3⁄4″ florets for garnish. Chop remaining cauliflower (you should have 8 cups).
- In large pot, heat butter or oil over medium heat. Add onion and leek. Cook, stirring, until soft, 10 minutes. (Reduce heat if it starts to brown.) Add stock and chopped cauliflower. Raise heat to high. When it comes to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Cook until cauliflower is soft, 20 minutes.
- Purée soup in blender until smooth. Transfer to clean pot. Stir in cream, if using. Season with salt. Keep warm over low heat.
- Preheat broiler to high. In frying pan, heat remaining 1⁄2 tbsp butter or oil. Toss with reserved cauliflower florets. Season with salt. Place cauliflower on foil-lined baking tray. Broil 4″ from heat until lightly charred, 5 minutes.
- Divide soup among warmed bowls. Garnish with florets, drizzle with truffle oil and sprinkle with chives.
House & Home February 2014