Chicken YakitoriRecipe By: Amy Rosen
Yakitori are traditional Japanese kebabs often served by street vendors.
- 1 cup sake(rice wine)
- 1 1⁄2 cups mirin (sweet cooking wine)
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup light soy sauce
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 8 green onions
- Salt and pepper
Directions Yield: Serves 4
- Soak 8 bamboo skewers in water for an hour. To make sauce, bring sake and mirin to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat, then reduce to simmer and add sugar and soy sauce. Simmer over medium-low heat for half an hour, or until reduced by about a quarter.
- Remove skewers from water. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces (about 1″). Slice root ends and most of greens off onions and cut into 1″ pieces, too. Skewer 1 piece of onion (threaded through its side), followed by 1 piece of chicken, continuing so there are 3 pieces of onion and 2 pieces of chicken on each skewer on the upper half. Season with salt and pepper.
- Set the oven to broil. Line a cookie sheet with foil and place skewers on top.
- Broil the skewers for 5 to 10 minutes, turning every so often for even cooking, then remove from oven and baste all over with yakitori dipping sauce. Cook another couple minutes, or until done. Baste again before serving them hot, along with a bowl of dipping sauce.