Chipotle Peanut Brittle
To avoid getting fingerprints on the brittle, wear latex gloves (not rubber gloves) when you break it into pieces. Adapted from Tom Colicchio’s Craft of Cooking.
- Vegetable oil, for greasing
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup light corn syrup
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 tsp baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp ground chipotle pepper
- 1 300-g jar salted, dry-roasted peanuts (2 cups)
Directions Yield: Makes Approx. 24 Pieces
- Brush heavy-duty baking sheet with oil. (If sheet is nonstick, skip this step.) Oil back of large metal spoon.
- In 4-L saucepan, combine water, corn syrup, sugar and butter. Place over medium- high heat. When mixture starts to boil, attach candy thermometer to pan without it touching bottom of pan. Cook until it reaches 300°F, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- With heatproof spatula, carefully stir in baking soda (it will boil up). Stir in chipotle and nuts. Pour onto prepared pan. With back of prepared spoon, spread out into even layer. Cool completely. Break into 2″ to 3″ pieces.