Chive, Gruyère & Yogurt Quick BreadRecipe By: Kristen Eppich
Total Time: 1 3⁄4 hours
Prep Time: 25 minutes
- 2 tsp vegetable oil, to cook spinach
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 tbsp butter or shortening, to grease pan
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated Gruyère
- 1⁄2 cup chopped chives
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground pepper
Directions Yield: Makes 1 Loaf
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add spinach. Cook, stirring, just until it wilts, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and reserve.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease metal loaf pan (8 1⁄2″ x 4 1⁄2″ x 2″) and line bottom and sides with parchment paper, leaving overhang for “handles.”
- Stir flour with baking powder, sugar and salt in large bowl. Stir in 1 cup cheese and all of chives.
- Whisk eggs with oil, yogurt and mustard in medium bowl. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture. Stir in spinach. Mix just until all of flour is moist — do not overmix. Season with lots of freshly ground black pepper. Scrape dough into prepared pan and sprinkle remaining 1⁄2 cup cheese on top.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes, until skewer inserted into bread comes out clean.
- Cool in pan, set on a rack, 20 minutes.
- Run sharp knife along edges of pan, then invert onto cooling rack and let come to room temperature.
- Best enjoyed day of baking. If needed, cover in plastic wrap, up to 3 days.