Colette Grand Café’s Amaretti Cookies
Executive pastry chef Leslie Steh from Colette Grand Café in Toronto shares a delicious recipe for Amaretti Cookies.
- 5 1/2 cups of ground almonds (almond meal)
- 2 cups of white sugar; refined baking sugar is best
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond essence (extract will do, but essence is better)
- 1 cup (or as needed) of icing sugar for dusting the tops of the amaretti
- 2 pinches of salt
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Position the oven rack so that it is in the middle of the oven.
- Check that your ground almonds are as fine as possible. You can always put them in a blender or the food processor to make the meal extra fine.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the ground almonds, salt and sugar, mixing well with a fork. Next mix in the eggs (all at once – no need to beat in advance) and the almond essence.
- Line your cookie sheets with baking paper, and make round balls of cookie dough…generally about a tablespoon. Roll them in a bowl of confectioner’s sugar, covering the ball, and then place them on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Leave to cool on the baking sheet for at least 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack. Eat and enjoy.